Support Original Artists, Designers and Artisians and BUY HANDMADE!
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
OCTOBER 27, 2007 Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
1. We need a head count of who is interested in selling and the times you are able to sell. Please let us know ASAP if you want in!
2. We will need to co-ordinate a booth layout based on how many sellers are interested.
3. Martha (AmorDePlata) will be doing a 10' Etsy Hawaii sign for us... individual sellers should have a sign for their table display.
4. We will work out the times, space and cost breakdown. Details pending.
Have a great night, and remember to check out the new October Forum and also check out our yahoo group discussion!
Monday, October 1, 2007
My name is Nikole Horkin and I am a stay at home mother to one son, Harrison, who just turned two. My full time job is being a mother and my second job is as an artist. I have been studying puppetry for many years and am a member of POA (Puppeteers of America) and UNIMA (Union Internationale de la Marionette). I am currently studying theater and art at the University of Hawaii. I not only make my own puppets but also perform them as well. I can be seen locally and will be listing a calendar of shows on my website soon.
2. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?
I still have a picture that I drew when I was five. It was of a mouse holding a piece of cheese and I even signed it! Yeah, I always knew that art was going to be a big part of my life.
3. What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?
Wow....what DOESN'T inspire me? Well my dog was the inspiration for my bigger and hairier puppets and I send out a picture of my dog with the story of how my puppet came to be with each "adoption." I believe that when you put the photo of my dog up next to the puppet, they look quite alike. By the way, I have a Brussles Griffin. He looks a lot like an Ewok from Star Wars.
4. What are your favorite materials?
I have an addiction to fabrics. If only you could see my puppet studio. I can spend hours in a fabric store especially in the remnants sections. That is the good thing about working with puppets...they don't require a lot of yardage.
5. What is your favorite color?
Like the movie.......the color purple.
6. What are your most and least two favorite films?
Do I really have to only pick two? Well, I'll tell you my two favorite puppet movies: Dark Crystal and The Muppet Movie (the song that Kermit sings, "Rainbow Connection," makes me teary eyed every time I hear it).
7. What are you reading right now?
Do craft books count? I always have some sort of craft book on my night stand next to my bed. However, the last real book that I read and enjoyed would be Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter.
8. Any tips on selling handmade stuff?
Yes, be sure to take the best possible pictures. Pictures tell everything and can actually make or break a sale. It is like the old saying of judging a book by its cover. You only get a few moments to make that first impression for a sale.
9. Apart from creating things, what do you do?
It always seems like I am creating something...even in my sleep so that is why I keep a journal next to my bed for those times that I wake up in the middle of the night with one of my crazy ideas. Sometimes they turn out to be great ideas in the morning and other times I think, "What was I dreaming of?!"
10. List your webpages, blogs, other marketing sites here.
I'm still in the process of getting my website designed and it will contain a calendar of the dates and locations where I will be performing my puppet shows at: www.puppetsandpals.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON HOW YOU CAN ADOPT ONE OF THESE LOVEABLE PALS GO ONLINE TO www.puppetsandpals.etsy.com